Restore Messenger end-to-end encrypted chats with an Apple account
Android App Help
iPad App Help
iPhone App Help
This option only works for iOS mobile devices. You can restore Messenger end–to-end encrypted chats with a Google accounton Android devices.
This feature is gradually being introduced and may not be available to you yet.
If you stored your chats in secure storage from Messenger, you can automatically restore your end-to-end encrypted messages on iOS mobile devices connected to your Apple ID without entering your PIN.
Note: Automatically restoring your end-to-end encrypted messages on your iOS mobile device means that Apple has a copy of the encryption key for our secure storage.
Automatically restore your messages
- Log in to your Apple ID, the same one you used when you first set up secure storage.
- Turn on iCloud Drive, which you can do on your device settings.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Keep in mind:
- This option won’t work if you’re trying to restore your chats on a computer.
- If you’re logging in on an Android device, you'll need to use a different option to restore your messages.
Learn about other security options to restore your end-to-end encrypted chats on Messenger.
You can also learn how to restore your end-to-end encrypted chats with a Google account on Android mobile devices.