Options to use Messenger without a Facebook account
You’ll need to create a Facebook account to use Messenger. You can then deactivate your Facebook account and log into Messenger using your Facebook account information. This is called a Deactivated Except Messenger Account (DEMA).
If you had a Facebook account but deactivated it, learn how to keep using Messenger.
Note: If you previously used a Messenger-only account, you’ll need to update your existing account to a DEMA to continue using Messenger.
When you have a DEMA:
- You can still chat with friends on Messenger.
- Your picture will only be visible in your conversations on Messenger.
- Other people can search for you in Messenger and send you a message.
- You won’t be searchable on Facebook.
- You’ll have a deactivated Facebook profile that you can activate at any time.
- You’ll need to confirm your birthday and may be asked to create a password for account security.