Use special effects or filters in Messenger video calls
Change platform:Computer Help
You can use special effects like different backgrounds, filters and lighting in your video call.
To add special effects in a video call:
- From your video call, select on your face.
- From the pop-up menu, select Effects, Backgrounds or Lighting.
- Click an option.
To exit the pop-up menu, click outside of it.
I'm having trouble using filters and effects
Try some of these suggestions:
- Hover over your face to make appear, then click on it to access filters and effects.
- Try using a newer device. Some older devices are unable to support certain filters and effects and can result in your Messenger app closing unexpectedly. We're currently working to fix this issue.
- Update to the latest version of the Messenger app.
- Check your internet connection.
- Report your issue to our team.