Use special effects or filters in Messenger video calls
Android App Help
iPad App Help
iPhone App Help
You can use special effects like different backgrounds, filters and lighting in your video call.
Add special effects in a video call
- From your video call, select on your face.
- From the pop-up menu, select Effects, Backgrounds or Lighting.
- Click an option.
To exit the pop-up menu, click outside of it.
I'm having trouble using filters and effects
Try some of these suggestions:
- Hover over your face to make appear, then click on it to access filters and effects.
- Try using a newer device. Some older devices are unable to support certain filters and effects and can result in your Messenger app closing unexpectedly. We're currently working to fix this issue.
- Update to the latest version of the Messenger app.
- Check your internet connection.
- Report your issue to our team.