Restore end-to-end encrypted chats with a 40-character code on Messenger
Android App Help
iPad App Help
iPhone App Help
This feature is gradually being introduced and may not be available to you yet.
If you saved your chats in secure storage from Messenger, you can restore them on a new device using a 40-character code. This is the 40-character code that was previously generated from a device when you first enrolled in secure storage.
Restore chats with a 40-character code
- On a computer, go to Messenger.com.
- Enter your 40-character code and follow the on-screen instructions.
Generate a new 40-character code
- Open Messenger on your device with secure storage on and tap your profile photo in the corner.
- Tap Privacy & safety.
- Tap End-to-end encrypted chats.
- Tap Secure storage.
- Tap Generate 40-character code.
Learn about other options to restore your end-to-end encrypted chats on Messenger.