Control your privacy on Messenger
Change platform:Computer Help
You can control your privacy in Messenger by making certain information private or public to specific people. You can find these privacy settings on the Privacy & safety tab of your Messenger account.
To get to the Privacy & safety tab in Messenger:
- Open your Messenger app.
- From Chats, tap your profile picture in the top left.
- From the menu, tap Privacy & safety.
Under the Privacy & safety tab in Messenger, you can control privacy settings for:
- Messaging settings. You can use these settings to control who can reach your inbox.
- End-to-end encrypted conversations. End-to-end encrypted conversations in Messenger are secure and only read by you and the other person. Learn how end-to-end encryption works on Messenger.
- Blocked profiles. When you block someone's profile, they'll no longer be able to contact you on Messenger or on Facebook chat. Learn how to block someone's profile or unblock someone's profile on Messenger.
- Hidden contacts: When you hide someone, you’ll no longer see them suggested with your other contacts. Learn how to hide someone in Messenger.
- Story controls. You can choose to share stories with anyone, friends or specific people. Learn how to choose who can see your story in Messenger.
- Muted stories. To control whose stories you see, you can mute or unmute stories from certain people.
For more ways to control your privacy on Messenger, you can:
- Control who can see when you're active. Active Status shows your friends and contacts when you're active, currently in the same chat as them or were recently active on Facebook or Messenger on this profile. Learn how to control your Active Status on Messenger.
- Clear your search history. You can edit or clear your search history in Messenger. Learn how to clear your search history on Messenger.
- Remove a message that you’ve sent. You can permanently remove a message that you've sent for everyone in the chat or just for yourself. Learn how to remove a message that you've sent on Messenger.