Start end-to-end encrypted chats or calls in Messenger
Change platform:iPhone App Help
The content of your messages and calls in an end-to-end encrypted chat is protected from the moment it leaves your device to the moment it reaches the receiver’s device. This means that nobody during this delivery, including Meta, can see or listen to what's sent or said.
Start an end-to-end encrypted chat
- From Chats, tap in the top right.
- Tap in the top right.
- Type the name of the person you want to chat with.
Create an end-to-end encrypted chat from an existing chat
To create an end-to-end encrypted chat with someone you’re already messaging:
- Open Messenger and find your chat. Be sure that you're using the latest version of the Messenger app.
- Tap the name at the top of the chat.
- Tap Start end-to-end encrypted chat.
Keep in mind that you won’t be able to start end-to-end encrypted chats with:
- Professional accounts (like ones for public figures)
- Instagram accounts from your Messenger app
- People that you haven’t messaged before
End-to-end encrypted chats are currently only available in the Messenger app on iOS and Android, so they won't appear on Facebook chat or messenger.com.
Start an end-to-end encrypted call
Video or audio calls you make from an end-to-end encrypted chat are also end-to-end encrypted and intended for only you and whoever you’re talking to.
To start an end-to-end encrypted call:
- From Chats, open the end-to-end encrypted chat with the person you want to call.
- Tap to start an audio call or to start a video call.
Keep in mind that everyone in your end-to-end encrypted chat needs to have downloaded the latest version of the Messenger app to be able to make an end-to-end encrypted call.
Learn how to start an end-to-end encrypted chat or call with a group.
You can also learn: