How do I control who can send a message to my Messenger Chats list?
Change platform:Computer Help
You can choose to receive or not receive message requests for the following:
- People you follow or have chatted with on Instagram.
- Your Instagram followers (even if you don’t follow them back).
- Friends of your friends on Facebook.
- People with your phone number in their phone’s contact list. Keep in mind that someone with your phone number does not need to be an Instagram connection or Facebook friend to reach you.
- Everyone else on Facebook and Instagram.
You can also choose to have message requests go to your Chats list or Message Requests folder from your settings.
To control who can send you a message request and where they send it to in your Messenger settings:
- Open your Messenger app.
- From Chats, tap your profile picture in the top left.
- From the menu, tap Privacy.
- Tap Message Delivery.
- Tap on the people you want to control messages for.
- Select where to deliver their messages or tap Don’t deliver requests to stop receiving their messages.
Keep in mind that you’ll be able to see more message delivery options after you add your Facebook and Instagram accounts to your Accounts Center. Group chatting across the two apps is also currently unavailable.
Who can send a message directly to my Chats list?
Contacts that can send you a direct message include:
- Your Facebook friends
- People on Marketplace
- People on Facebook Dating
- Businesses or Pages you've already connected with
- People you’ve connected with through a Facebook Job Post or a Facebook mentorship group.
Anyone else you haven’t chatted with before can only send you message requests and can’t call you unless you reply to their message request.
What about spam messages?
Messages that are likely to contain spam may be filtered on Facebook and Messenger, even if they come from people you’ve allowed to send you message requests or messages to your Chats list. This spam filtering will not affect the messages you get from your Facebook friends, but may apply to other messages you receive through Messenger.